Hauser & Wirth is one of the world’s leading contemporary art galleries with offices in Zurich, Gstaad, London, Somerset, New York and Los Angeles. Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles, located in a historic 100,000 square foot flour mill complex in the city’s burgeoning downtown Arts District, opened to the public in March 2016. The gallery transformed the site’s sprawling collection of late 19th and early 20th century buildings and outdoor spaces into a dynamic multi-disciplinary arts center. The new venue offers innovative exhibitions, museum-caliber amenities, and a robust schedule of public programs that contextualize the art on view, drawing upon, illuminating, and contributing to the urban culture of Los Angeles.
We are looking for a Education and Community Outreach Manager to join our team in Los Angeles.
Main Tasks include oversight of all educational and community outreach programs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and oversee all community outreach initiatives including partnerships with schools and colleges, internship programs, public tours and family programming
- Liaise with local schools and colleges, as well as other organizations based within the community, to establish and maintain relationships and actively promote HWLA
- Establish a local, national and international network of useful and productive education partnerships that could result in collaborative projects and events; research and review educational programs to stay current in the field; collate, analyze and apply feedback on the educational activities provided
- Create and develop educational resources for all visitors
- Lead and design tours of exhibitions, using both formal and informal teaching, to a broad spectrum of groups
- Administrate and manage all group bookings to HWLA to ensure that the specific needs, interests and learning objectives of the audience are met.
- Manage and develop relationships with freelance education practitioners and ensure that they receive appropriate training and are kept up to date with HWLA news and exhibition program.
- Responsible for the monthly Family Studio program and Garden School Foundation activities; Initiate and manage additional family programs that engage and expand the gallery’s audience
- Initiate and create promotional material, in collaboration with the Communications Manager, for all education and community outreach activities and assist with the promotion using the appropriate communication channels
- Collate, analyze and apply feedback on the activities provided and evaluate and measure impact of programs
- Represent HWLA as necessary
- Prepare and manage annual budget for Education and Community Outreach, monitor costs and provide necessary information for financial reporting
- Assist in developing the Gallery’s internship program and provide event-specific oversight for staff, interns and volunteers as needed for education programs
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills/ Abilities / Experience
- A strong personal commitment to community education
- Ability to develop and implement community outreach programs and partnerships related to the Gallery’s mission, vision, and philosophy.
- Strong facilitation and group leadership skills.
- Familiarity with and understanding of issues of diversity and inclusion, with knowledge of how those issues are particularly navigated in Los Angeles
- Experience working with youth, schools, business, elected and government officials, inter-faith, and/or community groups.
- Experience working in a leadership capacity with diverse groups.
- Ability to conceive, develop, and complete tasks without close supervision.
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong presentation, oral, and written communication skills.
- Minimum of Bachelors Degree, preferably in Education or related field.
- Minimum five-year experience working with galleries, arts education programs, after-school programs, and with local communities in Los Angeles
- Experience working with artists and communities
- A demonstrated ability to lead and energize multi-disciplinary work teams to respond to needs and get results.
- Strong community network and networking abilities
- Excellent communication skills, including computer and interpersonal skills.
DEADLINE: open until position is filled
Pease submit your resume and cover letter, including references by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org